Call Us (601) 212-3534 / Text Us (601) 501-7130
Tips & Tricks For
Lightning is a highly destructive force—and nothing’s more important than ensuring lightning safety in America’s homes.
In fact, all metallic systems within a home (for example, your electrical, plumbing and heating and air conditioning systems) can be affected by lightning strikes. Safety isn’t just about how each system is installed—it’s also about how each installation relates to other home metallic systems. To help maximize safety, your builder or remodeler and your local building inspector had the responsibility to ensure proper installation of every metallic system per local codes and requirements.
Should you have any concerns about whether any metallic building systems components were properly installed per safety requirements, we recommend that you have them inspected by a qualified heating and air conditioning and/or electrical contractor.
- Properly bonding and grounding the Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) system may reduce the risk of damage and fire from a lightning strike.
- All owners should consult a lightning safety consultant to determine whether installation of a lightning protection system would be required to achieve sufficient protection for all building components from lightning.
- The owner should confirm with the local gas supply utility company that a suitable dielectric union is installed at the service entry of the structure between underground metallic piping and the gas pipes going into the building as required by code.
- Care should be taken when installing any type of fuel gas piping (including CSST, iron, or copper) to maintain as much separation as reasonably possible from other electrically conductive systems in the building.
- Local building codes are controlling, however, as a general practice, fuel gas piping, including CSST, should not be installed within a chase or enclosure that houses a metallic chimney liner or appliance vent that protrudes through the roof.
Source: The Gastite Division, Titeflex Corporation. Homeowner. 2008.
Call us at 601-212-3534 or drop us a line below!
Here at Inspect It Like A Girl®, we understand that a home is one of the largest investments you will ever have. Purchasing, selling, and/or remodeling a home can be stressful and time-consuming. When people in the Jackson Metro area hire Inspect It Like A Girl® as their home inspector, they know that they are getting an inspector they can trust to do the job right and give them the information they need.
Have a Question?
Review Our Service